1. The Winter Living Theology this year will take place at the Pauline Centre Kensington. The dates are Tuesday 16th to Thursday 18th July 2013. Theme: Faith and Reason. Lecturer – Father John Moffatt. All priests are encouraged to attend. Phone: 011 482 4239 or SMS 076 420 9856. It deals with communicating the faith in the modern world. Father Moffatt was the Catholic Chaplain at the University of Oxford. Please attend.
2. Remember that on the first Tuesday of each month the priests are invited to lunch at Santa Sophia.
3. Note the separate letter retarding the Masolenyana. Children between the ages of 7 and 14 can be full members. Children 15 to 25 can join the Masole Youth or another youth group. They should have different administrations.
4. Can the Deans give the Archbishop the dates of deanery meetings. I would very much like to attend.
5. On the Feast of Corpus Christi June the 2nd, we celebrated the Holy Hour in union with Pope Francis and the whole world. I hope each deanery and parish is doing special things for the Year of Faith
6. Recent visitors: We were very happy to welcome special guests in the Archdiocese. The successor of Blessed Mother Theresa, the Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity.
It was also a privilege to welcome the Prelate and successor of St Jose Maria of Opus Dei.
7. Congratulations to the Loreto Sisters and Loreto School on their 135th birthday celebrated at the Cathedral on June 7th.
8. The Archbishop met the Vice-President Mr Motlante and the Ministers of Finance and Transport at the Union Buildings to discuss e-tolling.
On the 11th June the Bishop met with the priests from around the country engaged in the special ministries to Army, Police and Correctional Services. Our own Father Silas Rangwaga is the secretary of this ministry nationwide.
9. The Youth meeting at Bertoni Centre on June 15th was a wonderful success due to the work of Father Sammy, Neo Rakoma and many priests. 1,200 youth were present in a most festive and recollected atmosphere. The celebration has appeared frequently on channel 340.
10. Now that Errol and Miggie have returned to the Chancery, we hope that the ministry to Marriage and the Family will really take off. We need to put a lot of energy into this ministry as not much has been achieved this year.
11. Father Geoffrey and the Catechetical team and the deanery coordinators continue to meet. As Archbishop I hope to meet each parish in the next few months to have a serious look at the catechetical situation. If we fail here a lot is lost.
12. The Xaveri Movement under Martin Mande at the Chancery is very active this year. It was they who organized the National Refugee celebration at the City Hall where Minister Naledi Pandor spoke.
13. We congratulate Sunnyside Parish who on the 7th July celebrate their golden jubilee
14. The altar servers workshop/retreat takes place from the 1st to the 5th July and is lead by Father Herman Mole.
15. Property- the diocese has bought a property at Midrand which originally belonged to St Gemma’s .
Jericho Mission is being refurbished under the careful eye of Father Joe Molapo
16. Collections and Insurance: Many parishes are up to date with paying their assessments. For this I am very grateful. However, many are behind in insurance payments and in the medical insurance for priests. Please try and get these paid up. If there are any Lenten collections still outstanding, please get them immediately to Father Craigh Laubscher.
17. The Sacred Heart annual retreat is on June 29th .
18. The Silver Jubilee celebration for the Kemolo is on the 28th September
19. Remember the Archdiocesan Priests and Deacons retreat from the 30th September to the 4th October. It is very important that all priests and deacons have a retreat each year. There are special preachers for the retreat coming from Tanzania. Please register with Father Robert Mphiwe.
Some of the Archbishop’s Engagements
|Tues.||02.07 12h00||Lunch at Santa Sophia – all priests invited.|
|Tues.||02.07 16h00||Mass Altar Servers – St Camillus Hammanskraal|
|Wed.||03.07 09h30||Consultors – Jolivet House|
|Sat.||06.07 09h30||Prisons(meeting of volunteers) – Jolivet House|
|Sun.||07.07 09h00||Sunnyside – 50th Anniversary|
|Tues.||09.07 10h0009.07 12h0009.07 16h00||Media Communication – Khanya HouseSisters of St PaulProperty Meeting – Garner House|
|Fri.||12.07 11h3016.07To 18.07||Seminary students at Santa SophiaWinter school at Pauline Centre|
|Sat.||27.07 10h00||All Catholic Police, Soldiers, Prisoners|
|Sun.||28.07 09h00||Confirmations – St Anne’s Atteridgeville|
|Sat.||03.08||Installation of New Bishop for Kokstad|
|Fri.||09.08 09h00||Catholic Schools Plan Day|
|Sat.||10.08 10h00||Iona Convent – Anniversaries|
|Sun.||11.08 08h00||Youth at Jonathan|
|Thurs.||15.08 09h00||Assumption Convent – Feast Day|
|Sat.||17.08 10h00||Confirmations at|
|Sun.||18.08 08h00||General pilgrimage to Jonathan|
|Sat.||24.08 09h00||Confirmations at Mmakau – Holy Redeemer|
|Sun.||25.08 09h00||Confirmations – St Mary’s Mamelodi|
|Sat.||31.08 09h0031.08 14h00||Confirmations – St Joseph OukassieArchdiocesan Pastoral Council – Santa Sophia|
|Sun.||01.09 10h00||Confirmations at Nellmapius|
|Thurs.||05.09 10h00||Feast of Blessed Mother Theresa at Klipgat|
|Sat.||07.09||Ordination of Bishop Masela Pholokwane|
|Sun.||08.09 10h30||Confirmations – Sunnyside|
|Mon||09.09 09h40||Feast of CBC|
|Sat.||14.09||Bishop Setlalakgosi Golden Jubilee of Priesthood in Gabarone|
|Sun.||15.09 11h00||Confirmations at Maria Motsepo|
|Sun.||22.09 09h00||Confirmations at St Peter Claver Mamelodi|
|Mon||23.09||La Verna convention|
|Tues.||24.09 09h00||80 years of Cathedral, 25 years Father Phalana priesthood; 20 years Father Shand Priesthood|
|Sat.||28.0911h15||Engaged encounter – NationalSilver Jubilee Kemolo|
|Sun.||29.09 09h00||Confirmations at Seabe|
|Mon||30 September to 4th October||Retreat of priests of Archdiocese|