1) On the 11 February, like the rest of the world, we were shocked to receive the announcement of Pope Benedict’s resignation. In reflection we are very sorry to lose this humble and marvelous teacher. We thank God for the gifts Pope Benedict has brought to the service of the church over a period of 86 years. His teaching will long remain as a light for future generations.
All who can attend are invited to the Cathedral on March 6th at 6.00 p.m. for a Mass of thanksgiving which will be celebrated by the Archbishop. Archbishop Cassari, the Apostolic Nuncio, will attend and concelebrate.
2) We are now into the second week of Lent, hopefully we have reminded the people to make this a special time of prayer and of works of mercy.
Make sure that the people are contributing to the lenten appeal every Sunday, and monies to be sent to Father Craigh who is responsible for our collections.
Do encourage all the faithful to make the Way of the Cross, do not forget the youth and the children.
Lent is a special time in which to encourage all Christians, including ourselves, to go to the Sacrament of Confession.
3) The Youth of the diocese are invited to a night vigil at the Cathedral on the 15th/16th March. We also hope to have all the youth of the Archdiocese at a day celebration on the 16th June. We strongly encourage the town parishes to attend. Details will come later.
4) The AGM of Religious in the diocese will take place at Bertoni Centre on the 16th March at 10.00 a.m. opening with Mass. New elections will take place.
5) To offer proper care within our prisons, a special meeting will take place at the Chancery on the 9th March at 10.00 a.m. We will encourage parish councils and priests to invite volunteers from each parish to attend.
6) Mrs Mlilwani who is the coordinator at the Archdiocese for hospital care, is happy to visit the deaneries and parishes to speak about this important ministry. We would very much hope that every Catholic in an old age home or hospital or at home is constantly visited and cared for.
7) About three hundred teachers from Catholic schools had a workshop at the Dominic School for the Deaf in Hammanskraal on the 22 February. Tremendous work is being done by Renee D’Oliveira and Helene Addis to maintain a Catholic ethos in our 14 Catholic schools. The academic success of our secondary schools was 98%. Of particular note was the improvement at Holy Trinity from 60% to 90% in one year.
Dear Priests and Sisters make it a point to make strong contacts with our Catholic schools and some contact with the other schools in your area.
8) I am sure that Father Sammy Mabusela is keeping you informed of the Youth World pilgrimage to Rio in July. We expect about 50 young people to travel from Pretoria. We congratulate Father Sammy for his work at a National level. The Archbishop was very happy to meet again the university students for the opening Mass at the University of Pretoria on 10th “February. I thank Father Hyacinth for his faithful work there.
9) We thank God that we have 13 seminarians from the Archdiocese this year. Father Ambrose Maqebo has worked hard to prepare them for the seminary. Please pray for and encourage prospective seminary candidates and bring them to the attention of Father Ambrose.
10) Father Vitalis Marole was lent to us by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. He has worked with great success at St Anne’s in Atteridgeville. By visiting all the homes of the parish, by prayer campaigns, Eucharistic adoration and workshops, he has made a huge impact on the spiritual life of the parish. He returns to his parent Congregation in April, we thank him sincerely.
Father Sefiri Motsepe will go there as parish priest at the end of April.
11) Father Geoffrey CSS is vicar for catechesis for the Archdiocese – he has an excellent team about him. Though he is there to supervise and facilitate our catechetical work, the prime responsibility for catechetics remains with the parents, the parish council and the parish priest. Have a copy of the catechetical calendar 2013 and make sure that you avail of the services offered there. In doing parish visitation in the second half of the year, I will eagerly examine this field of activity.
12) We had a beautiful day of recollection for priests on the theme of the Year of Faith at Santa Sophia on the 21 February. However, very few attended, which is quite sad.
13) From the 11th to 13th March the SACBC Bishops and the Major Religious Superiors will hold a Joint Witness meeting in Benoni.
14) On the 18th and 19th March Specialised Ministries workshop at Hartbeespoort. This means the priests involved in service to the army, police and Correctional Services.
15) On the 23rd March, Catechetical team of the Archdiocese will meet at Waterkloof at 2.00 p.m.
16) On the 27th March at 9.30 a.m. there will be the Mass of the Oils and the renewal of Priestly promises at the Cathedral.
17) On the 8th and 9th April Bishops of the Metropolitan area meet in Gaborone.
18) Important dates:
Chrism Mass: At the Cathedral on Wednesday the 27th March at 09h30. There will be a reception for the Clergy afterwards as it is the feast day of the Priesthood.
Meeting for the Diocesan Clergy at Santa Sophia on Tuesday 30th April .
AGM for all Clergy at Bertoni Centre on Tuesday 28th May
The Archdiocese of Pretoria invites you to be part of the Year of Faith Journey
Recollections every FIRST SATURDAY of the month.
Venue: SANTA SOPHIA. 129 Main Stret, Waterkloof, Pretoria. Time: 09h00 to 14h30.
|March||2nd||Archbishop Slattery||Porta Fidei|
|April||6th||Koinonia||I believe in God the Father|
|May||4th||Focolare||I believe in God the Son|
|June||1st||Fr Jerome Nyathi – seminary lecturer||I believe in the Holy Spirit|
|July||6th||Charismatic Renewal||I believe in the Holy Church|
|August||3rd||Neo Catechumenal Way||I believe in one Baptism|
|Sept||7th||Sister Cathrine Siyala||I believe in the communion of the Saints|
|Oct||5th||Couples for Christ||I believe in everlasting life|
|12h30||Faith sharing groups|
|14h00||(please bring your own lunch) – departure|
Lectures every SECOND SATURDAY of the month
Venue: Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Time: 14h00 to 16h00
Catechism of the Catholic Church –
Profession of Faith
|Feb||9th||Archbishop Slattery||Porta Fidei|
|March||9th||Jesuit Institute||Vatican II – The Church|
|April||13th||Jesuit Institute||Vatican II – Sacred Liturgy|
|May||11th||Jesuit Institute||Vatican II – Christ Unity (Ecumenism)|
|June||8th||Jesuit Institute||Vatican II – Divine Word|
|July||13th||Sister Jennifer Slater|
|August||10th||Father Craigh Laubscher||Catechism of the Catholic Church – Sacraments|
|Sept||14th||Father Patrick Rakeketsi||Catechism of the Catholic Church – Commandments|
|Oct||12th||Sister Thandi Moyo||Catechism of the Catholic Church – Christian Prayer|
|Nov||9th||Father Victor Phalana||Africae Munus|
Please Note: No refreshments will be provided. We welcome donations to cover the costs. Car guards will be available.