DITABA No. 13
1 November 2013
1. The Bishop’s Calendar can be seen under the Archdiocese Events at the Pretoria Archdiocese’s website (www.archdioceseofpretoria.co.za)
2. In spite of heavy rain a great number of newly confirmed youth came to Zwavelpoort for the sending ceremony on Sunday the 20th of October. The huge Church built by Msgr. Marc de Muelenaere was full. The Archbishop paid a word of gratitude to those teachers, adults and parents who have come to the ceremony. These were the very people who prepared our young people to receive the Holy Spirit. During the ceremony each group witnessed to what it was doing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
3. We had an excellent meeting introducing Renew Africa at Santa Sophia at which most priests were present on Friday the 5th of October.
4. The CANA Couples Conference organized by Couples for Christ and Family Life Desk of Archdiocese of Pretoria was celebrated by 45 couples in attendance last 25 and 26 of October in Christian Brothers College. This event allowed couples and some single participants who were also present to celebrate God’s goodness in their marriages and to reflect on their married life as well as deepen their commitment as a couple with Christ. Fr. Peter Switala, Vicar for Archdiocese Family Life Desk, was there to celebrate Mass and facilitated healing prayers and renewal of vows for the couples.
5. Congratulations to our 3 Stigmatine Deacons, Benedict Mosioa Makhata, Jeremiah Thami, Mkhwanazi, and Michael Motlhaba Motlhamme, who were ordained priests. Ceremony took place at de Wildt on 26th October. They are now celebrating their first Mass in their home parishes.
6. From Sunday October 27th to Friday the 1st of November a great number of priests from Archdiocese attended the annual retreat. This time the preacher was from Tanzania and made a deep impression with everybody with his spirituality, his knowledge of the Scriptures and his preaching.
7. The Archbishop visited Leratong Hospice and paid tribute to the staff there who offered palliative care to the very ill. Over the years almost a thousand persons have gave out to God from this Hospice. There is also a beautiful Church there built by the Passionists, Fr. Kieran It was a privilege to celebrate Confirmation there. The hospice is in the name of the Archdiocese but is run by an independent Board on which Fr. Kieran is the patron.
8. Congratulations to Sr. Rita and the Alpha people who have trained our volunteers who will bring spiritual help to our prisons. They have been extremely generous of their time and commitment for preparing good people of this Diocese to bring renewal to our brothers and sisters in jail.
9. During this month of November, in all our parishes we are remembering our deceased.
10. It was with great sadness that we learned of the cruel attack on Fr. Craig Laubscher at Lynwood Parish. Fr. Craig put up a strong fight but was badly injured. Thank God he is now out of ICU and of hospital. Although bruised and strangled he was able to smile and laugh as he described his terrible experience. Messages of sympathy have been received from all over.
11. Fr. Barney and Fr. Sakhie Mofokeng gave an excellent introduction to Phase 3 on program of Evangelisation at lunch with priests at Santa Sophia on November 5.
12. The whole diocese welcomes the priests of the Congregation of St. Paul of Nigeria, Fr. Augustine and Fr. Jonathan have come to work in Jericho Pastoral region. We must confess to not been properly organized with their house on their arrival. But we are busy now with repairs and proper accommodation.
13. We join with the whole country at St. John Seminary in expressing gratitude for Fr. Bonaventure, Fr. Hyacinth, Msrg. Marc Muelenaere and Fr. Maneschg. These men have given outstanding, persevering, and wholehearted service to the formation of future priests at the St. John Vianney’s.
Archbishop Mario Roberto Cassari, Apostolic Nuncio, presented them with an award from the Pope at a beautiful Mass at seminary on November 6.
14. The Archdiocesan Pastoral Council (APC) deserves a lot of credit for promoting the Year of Faith and arranging the closing ceremony at Pilditch Stadium. Please read the arrangements as given here in number 20.
15. The IMBISA meeting of Southern African Catholic Bishop Conferences will take place at Gabarone between the 11th to the 15th of November. The theme will be Marriage and the Family. This will also be the theme for the special Synod of Bishops called by Pope Francis for Rome in 2014.
This emphases again the tremendous anxiety to which the Church has at the moment for marriage and family Life. All Priests and Pastoral Councils are urgently requested to make contact with the Family Life Desk at Jolivet House (Errol & Miggie Martinez firstname.lastname@example.org)
16. As Archbishop, I have been very impressed with those parishes which have organized special courses for their young people preparing for Confirmation. Some parishes have invited Education For Life teams to give courses in preparation for Confirmation. Others have gone to the Bosco Youth Centre for a few days. Yet others have had Life in the Spirit weekends or have invited Alpha teams to prepare their young people.
I would regard special courses of this nature as essential for proper preparation for Confirmation. I would like parishes to contact Neo-Catechumenate, Alpha and Couples for Christ to provide resources.
17. The Archdiocese joins with the Handmaids of Christ the Priest at Hamannskraal in giving thanks for 4 Sisters who are celebrating their Silver Jubilee. We express sincere appreciation to Sr. Francina, Sr. Anna, Sr. Anastacia and Sr. Victoria on this great achievement in their religious lives.
The Handmaids of Christ the Priest is a congregation of the Archdiocese of Pretoria and they have dedicated their lives to the building of the Church and people here.
18. Let us pray for Deacon Thokozani Masina, SCP who will be ordained priest at Hamannskrall on December 7, Saturday.
We also pray for our deacons to be, Tshepiso Matle, Ernest Matse, Sam Manyoke and Mike Olien who will be ordained Deacons at the Cathedral on Monday the 16th of December.
19. The DITABA can always be found in our Archdiocese website, (www.archdioceseofpretoria.org co.za) and in Facebook (Archdiocese of Pretoria).
20. Click here to download PDF Regarding Closing of Year of Faith at Pilditch Stadium on November 24, 2013. Also see Closing of Year of Faith on homepage of the Archdiocese website.